One of the biggest environmental challenges we face today is mobility . People need a seemingly endless network of vehicles and transportation systems to defend societies and economies . Cars, buses, trains and trucks to name a few, as well as other modes of transportation, each leaving its indelible mark on the environment. Almost a third of the world ‘s CO2 emissions come from the means of transporting people and goods. The creation and search of possible sustainable transport solutionsIt is one of the biggest challenges that cities face today, but it is also seen as a great opportunity for the development of low-carbon cities .
What is sustainable mobility?
The sustainable mobility is a set of processes and different actions whose main objective is the rational use of means of transport to reduce the amount of pollution environment that produces serious climate change .
The sustainable mobility requires a change of mentality in people, in which transport in private cars and road transport give way to different modes of public transport . As lanes for bicycles and pedestrians , vehicles electrical , shared use of cars and freight rail . More and more cities around the world are meeting this challenge. Create solutions that ensure the vital flow of people, goods and services while thinking about different ways to mitigate climate change and creating climate-safe cities.
- What is sustainable mobility?
- Sustainable urban mobility plan
- Sustainable mobility tips
- Examples of sustainable mobility plans
What is sustainable mobility?
Sustainable mobility involves a series of different actions and changes with the aim of improving the sustainability of public and private transport in order to mitigate the changes suffered by the environment due to the constant emission of carbon dioxide. All those processes that are sought in cities and that aim to improve means of transport are included within the term sustainable mobility. It consists of a group of approaches , to reduce the number of vehicles that circulate on the roads to reduce pollution and noisethat produce. The number of cars that circulate on public roads is increasing more and more, polluting the environment.
Sustainable urban mobility plan
A sustainable mobility plan is the one that is responsible for defining the different orientations that should have the mobility policy in different cities of the world with the goal of reaching a balanced long – term relationship between the different needs of mobilization and middle atmosphere . One of the most important objectives included in the mobility plan is to create an urban transport system that is less dependent on fossil fuelstaking into account urban expansion. These plans bring great benefits to cities as it is possible to obtain different aspects that help to improve both transport and the elimination of environmental pollution . In order to implement the mobility plan, a series of objectives must be developed and an attempt to achieve its benefits through the implementation of measures and resources.
Sustainable mobility tips
Some of the main tips to carry out a sustainable mobility plan are:
- Use collective or public transport more often as it is more efficient than private transport and has a lower economic and energy cost.
- People can choose to travel on foot or by bicycle taking into account that the distances for most people between work and home are not long.
- Sharing the car between several people who work in the same company or who take the same route. This is known as carpooling and includes a coordination plan between the employees who live nearby so that they organize and go together to their workplace.
- Driving more efficiently using a series of techniques that promote a change in the driver’s attitude, always in line with new technologies and the systems that new vehicles incorporate.
Examples of sustainable mobility plans
- Spain : in the case of Spain, different cities have adhered to the sustainable mobility plan. Emphasis is placed on the participation of citizens to gather opinions and criteria for the elaboration of the proposals that make up the plan. A website was created, interviews with social and technical agents, organization ofspecific workshops structured by theme, such as pedestrian and cyclist mobility , traffic , parking , etc.
- Colombia : a mobility plan has been put in place that integrates the mobilization of people through the metro, Metroplús, metrocable and the Ayacucho tram with the aim of reducing the number of vehicles and environmental pollution .
- Mexico : the strategy includes projects that give a boost to electromobility and that guarantee the sustainability of theautomotive industry . They encourage urban mobility and seek solutions through education programswithin and outside the industry.