The hockey on grass also known by the name hockey or hockey on grass is a sport in which a game is between two opposing teams, each of these has teams of eleven players competing with the objective of introducing a ball into the goal of the opposing team (what is known as a goal ) with the help of a stick or stick , as it is known in English. It is through this stick that teams try to control the ball. The objective is to score more goals than the opposing team scores at the end of regulation playing time.
The hockey on grass or grass is a sport in which the competition between two teams of given eleven players , struggling to throw a ball into the goal of the opposing team in order to score a goal using a hockey stick It allows them to control the ball during the game.
History of field hockey
To the present date there is still no exact knowledge of the origin date of hockey . There are some graphic records of rudimentary ways of playing hockey (stick and ball game) in different places around the world. There are also images dating from Ancient Greece (500 BC) that represent a series of men playing naked pushing a horned ball. There was also in ancient times a game called κερητίζειν because it was played with horns (“keras” in Greek). At the same time, history dates back to the Romans playing a similar game called pagan . In Inner Mongolia ( China), the inhabitants of the Daur ethnic group played a game called beikou , which was very similar to hockey. During the 1980s, the game was already being played in both male and female modes. In 1886, the Hockey Association was founded and several international games were played. Then hockey was introduced in the 1908 Olympics . At the end of the 19th century, the field hockey association was opened. Pakistan and India were the countries that dominated the sport the most for several decades.
Field hockey rules
- The game is divided into two periods . Each of these times consists of thirty-five minutes each.
- To score a goal , the attacking player must throw the ball into the area .
- The penalty-corner is a penalty in which the ball must be placed on the baseline, about 10 meters from the goal. The player who takes the penalty corner must have at least one foot off the field of play and his teammates must remain outside the area.
- When a penalty is taken, a maximum of five defenders, including the goalkeeper, may be behind the baseline with their sticks or sticks.
- The penalty-stroke is a major penalty, in which an attacker throws the ball from a point within the area, while the goalkeeper stands on the goal line .
The pitch is rectangular in shape and is 91.4 meters long and 55 meters wide. It has lateral lines that are those that mark the long perimeters of the field, and those of the bottom mark the short perimeters . The goal lines are located in the part of the baselines between the goal posts . At the same time it has a central line marked in the middle of the field. The point destined to shoot penalties has a diameter of 150 millimeters and is located in front of each goal. The playing field has flags that must be placed on poles and located at the corners of the playing area. The archesThey should be centered and positioned on the baselines. Currently, natural grass pitches have been replaced by synthetic grass , as it reduces the friction of the ball, makes the game faster and more precise .
Equipment for practicing field hockey
The equipment that is needed to be able to develop this sport consists of two main parts:
- The hockey stick : The stick used in this sport, both in measures and in weight, are strictly codified in the Regulations of the International Hockey Federation. Its approximate size is 1 meter high, the base about 15 centimeters and the width cannot be greater than about 5 centimeters. The weight does not exceed about three-quarters of a kilo . The stick should pass through a two-inch hoop .
- The bocce : In ancient times the ball or ball that was used in hockey was made of leather and cork . Now it is very different, hockey balls are hollow plastic inside and their size is approximately that of a tennis or baseball ball and they can also be made of any material.