It is important to remember that a fraction is a way in which the division that exists between two numbers can be represented. Fractions are represented by the numerator or the number that is placed at the top and by the denominator, which is the number that is placed at the bottom. Fractions like natural numbers can be subjected to different mathematical operations among which we find the subtraction of fractions .
What is a fraction subtraction?
Subtraction of fractions or subtraction of fractions is a basic mathematical operation that makes it possible to find the difference between two different fractions in an equivalent type.
- What is the subtraction of fractions?
- What is it for
- Subtraction of homogeneous fractions
- Subtraction of heterogeneous fractions
What is the subtraction of fractions?
The subtraction of fractions is a mathematical operation belonging to the branch known as arithmetic in which, using two different fractions, a third fraction can be obtained that turns out to be the difference between the two.
It is also important to know that the subtraction of fractions is represented by means of a symbol equal to a small line which is known by the name of ” minus ” and which is represented by the symbol ” – “.
What is it for
A fraction subtraction is used to know what is the difference in quantity that exists between two different fractions . It is used to solve a series of different mathematical problems in which it is necessary to know the difference between points or objects.
Subtraction of homogeneous fractions
In order to subtract two homogeneous fractions, which are the fractions that have an equal number in their denominators , the following steps must be followed:
- Fractions are placed in subtraction position including the symbol “-“.
- We then proceed to place the numerators of both fractions in position so that they are subtracted and the denominator is left the same .
- The numerators are subtracted and the denominator continues with the same number.
Subtraction of heterogeneous fractions
Heterogeneous fractions, which are those that have the numbers in different denominators , can be subtracted following this process:
- Fractions are placed in subtraction position.
- By having different denominators, the first thing to do is get the least common multiple of them.
- Equivalent fractions are obtained using the lowest common denominator that has been calculated, looking for the number by which the denominator can be multiplied to give that denominator as a result.
- The numerator must be multiplied by the same number that was used to multiply the denominators.
- The last step is to place the fractions with the same denominator and calculate the result .
The main importance of subtracting fractions lies in the possibility that this operation has of being able to know the exact difference between two numbers that have been represented in fractional units.