Over the years, the computer system has advanced dramatically in such a way that the functions performed by computers and the speed of their operations have been significantly transformed . With each generation of computers, technological advances are becoming more and more important. In this opportunity, the sixth generation of computers will be discussed , which are the ones that are known today.
- Date: Since 1990
- Inventors: Tim Berners-Lee
- Devices: Laptops, PDAs, mobiles
What is the sixth generation of computers?
It could be considered that the sixth generation of computers has its beginning at the end of the 20th century and at the beginning of the 21st century, without an end date since it is still considered in development . Indeed, the technological advances of the previous generation are maintained in order to improve and / or expand them. The devices generated have the common feature of being intended for personal consumption , which has led to them being simplified but, at the same time, capable of performing various functions .
- Characteristics of the sixth generation of computers
- Inventors of the sixth generation of computers
- Featured computers from the sixth generation of computers
Characteristics of the sixth generation of computers
- The adaptation to the new Internet system: From the development of the new tool that opened the doors to a necessary change in the technology that was known until now, such as the Internet, a processor was required according to it, This is achieved based on microprocessors that work simultaneously, which promote progress with respect to the capacity of this generation’s computers.
- The need for the microprocessor to work : This microprocessor has more than one circuit. The use of the Large Scale Integration circuit (LSI) and the Very Large Scale Intergration circuit (VLSI) were created , which then allowed each circuit to perform different assignments or functions.
- Advances in memory: Primary memory needs to be operated from chips. These manage to replace later what had been used (the memory of magnetic rings), by the memory of silicon chips, which are increased at the level of speed and efficiency.
- The micro and macro development of machines : It allowed an extension at the computer level, at the micro level, with personal computers or PCs, of laptops and operating systems for making smartphones, and also at the macro level, with supercomputers.
- Increasing the functionality of the Internet: From its functionality it is required to reach all possible places, which allowed the creation of wireless networks, such as WiFi, Bluetooth and WiMax.
- Multimedia advances: An indication of the association of two areas from the development of multimedia in computers, which will allow the union of images or text with sound. It is then possible to establish what would be the DVD (Digital Video Disk or Digital Versatiel Disk), forming a storage unit for video, image and sound content.
- Functionality in accordance with devices at a micro level: It was no longer only thought at an industrial level, but at a more personal-functional level, which made it possible for computers to stop being so necessary and to simplify them in devices such as tablets, smartphones, and others. mobile devices, which had the ability to perform some of the functions of a PC at a simpler and faster speed.
Inventors of the sixth generation of computers
Tim Berners-Lee : computer scientist that dedicated to working on the idea of an interface graphical user browser in order toablenavigate from texts that connecteach other, generating a source of accessibility to the Internet. It develops the computer network baptized as: World Wide Wed (WWW) , which later becomes the global news network, allowing users to connect with any type of information and content.
Featured computers from the sixth generation of computers
- Laptops: Device that had most of the functionality of a desktop computer, but with the utility of being portable , which allowed daily use without the need to be in a fixed place. It also has a rechargeable battery, which allows it to be used without requiring a fixed electrical charge for a stipulated period of time.
- Pocket computers (PDAs): Pocket computers, Personal Digital Assistant (Personal Digital Assistant), were intended to serve as a portable personal organizer, designed in an easy to move size and for specific purposes, such as calendar, notepad, reminders, among others.
- Multimedia devices: Devices that allowed the union of several areas, such as text, sound, animation and video, which contributes to a multisensory reach, since not a single activity could be carried out, but several together. For example, the option to watch videos from a laptop is an example of this.
- Mobile Devices: These mobile devices or pocket computers had the functionality of being particularly small, which allows them to be moved on a day-to-day basis, however, they are capable of performing many of the functions of a PC, counting with memory and storage capacity and with connection to wireless networks, such as the Internet. What allows easy handling and great efficiency when using it.