The term light aircraft refers to a small airplane that is lighter than a conventional airplane . Indeed, to refer to this aircraft, it is also common to use the expression “light aircraft” .
Information of interest
- Vehicle Type: Aircraft
- Inventor: Alberto Santos-Dumont
- Year: 1908
What is a plane?
The small plane, also known as a light aircraft, is a type of light aircraft, with a smaller size compared to the rest of the aircraft used for commercial purposes . In that sense, the number of passengers in a plane is small. Generally, airplanes are used to transport goods, to take aerial photographs and to fly for commercial and entertainment purposes . The technical characteristics allow the plane to carry out pirouettes or maneuvers that cannot be performed with a traditional plane.
- What is a plane for
- Parts of a plane
- How a plane works
What is a plane for
Thanks to the light weight of this type of aircraft, which in some cases can reach 300 kilos, the plane is very useful for short flights, for commercial purposes or also for tourist flights for a select public. Also, as it is a small aircraft, it is usually used by individuals for private flights .
- Its reduced space only allows carrying 3 or 4 passengers . For this reason, this light aircraft is often used as a private means of transportation.
- Its weight does not usually exceed 5,600 kilos , hence the name of light aircraft.
- Thanks to its light weight, the plane allow greater maneuverability .
- For their landing or take-off, they do not require large space runways .
It could be said that the history of aviation began in the Middle Ages, in the 16th century , when Leonardo da Vinci made various designs by observing the flight of birds . Thus, da Vinci contributed to the development of aviation with inventions such as the aerial screw and the parachute.
Centuries later, specifically during the 19th century , Sir George Cayley , a British aviator and aeronautical engineer, experimented with kites and gliders that had the ability to carry a person. Cayley invented a helicopter- shaped device . Many have considered him the father of aviation.
The great advancement of aviation took place in the United States when the Wright brothers , researchers, engineers and pilots, carried out the first controlled and powered flight in human history on December 17, 1903 . They hovered for twelve seconds in the air.
The Demoiselle , also known as the Dragonfly, is the first light aircraft in the aeronautical world, conceived by the Brazilian engineer Alberto Santos-Dumont. It weighed less than 60 kilos and was 8 meters long. La Demoiselle’s first flighttook place in 1908 .
In 1949 , Pierre Mauboussin and Robert Castello conceived the Cyclone , renamed Sylphe , which would be on July 14 of that same year, the first light jet or jet-powered aircraft to fly in the world.
The rest is history, nowadays, a great diversity of aircraft models have been known. Among the main models are the American models Cessna, Piper and Cirrus , the Chinese model AVIC and the Swiss model Pilatus .
Parts of a plane
All airplanes have the following parts regardless of their size and power:
- Propellers: in charge of producing a propelling force.
- Engine: This is generally a piston engine and they have opposite horizontal cylinders.
- Wings: these are the main part of any aircraft as they enable the forces that make flight possible.
- Ailerons: movable surfaces located at the ends of the wings with the function of generating the roll movement.
- Train front : device whose purpose is to cushion the landing.
- Fuselage: allows the entry of the crew inside the aircraft and constitutes the support of the rest of the elements.
- Stabilizer: so generally , there are two stabilizers, vertical and horizontal.
- Rudder: movable surface located at the rear of the aircraft’s tail.
How a plane works
In general , airplanes have one or two engines that are usually pistons. It should be noted that this type of engine has a double ignition system. On the other hand, the planes are propelled through propellers and have two horns that would be the “steering wheels” to direct the aircraft . Likewise, these devices have two sets of pedals, one corresponding to the pilot, and the other to the co-pilot.
Regarding the ascent of this type of aircraft, it should be noted that, commonly, light aircraft make their ascent with high power . On the other hand, when descending, it is important to take care of the temperature of the engine that could cool down even when the flight is carried out with a high external temperature. In this sense, it is advisable to apply the power every so often if the descent takes a long time, which will allow the engine to be kept at a temperature within the appropriate parameters.