The modern pentathlon is an Olympic sports discipline in which the active participation of athletes is given in five different tests which take place in succession and have an order for their realization, in this way, athletes must participate in sports such as the fencing , swimming , horse riding , the sport shooting and foot race . This now modernized sport is also a symbolic sportof the Olympic games, since the five Olympic rings of the symbol that represents the Olympics, in addition to representing the participation of the five continents of the world, are inspired and based on the five different events that are included within the modern pentathlon.
The modern pentathlon is a sports discipline practiced during the Olympic games , which consists of five different athletic events, fencing , swimming , horseback riding , shooting sports and a foot race . It is the sport symbol of the Olympics as it represents the sports embodied in the rings.
What is the modern pentathlon
This sport modality consists in that the athletes will have to face five very varied tests . First, a fencing qualifying round . The next day, the athletes compete in four events. The first is in swimming , then fencing and then being able to move on to horse riding . The classification in these three disciplines marks the order of classification for the combined race and shooting event.
Events of modern pentathlon
Modern pentathlon competitions have been included in the Olympic Games since 1912. The women’s competition was not included until the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games .
|By men’s teams||•||•||•||•||•||•||•||•||•||•||•||eleven|
|3||Soviet Union (URS)||5||5||5||fifteen|
|6||United Kingdom (GBR)||two||two||3||7|
|10||Czech Republic (CZE)||1||0||1||two|
|13||United States (USA)||0||6||3||9|
|16||Unified Team (EUN)||0||1||1||two|
History of the modern pentathlon
Formerly the pentathlon , was introduced in the Olympic games during the Olympiad number 18 in the year 708 BC, at that time winning the pentathlon gave the athlete a position of importance within the games, making him worthy of the rank of “victor ludorum”, which he wants say, winner of the games. Pierre de Coubertin, decided that it would be good to update this sporting discipline by bringing it back to the modern world and incorporating it into the Olympic games. He was in charge of choosing the tests that today make it up according to the competencies that an athlete should have, in this way, the modern pentathlon would consist of five different tests. The order of the tests and the number of days in which the victory is contested has varied over time. The modern pentathlon was incorporated into the Olympic program during the Stockholm Games in 1912. At the beginning, it only took into account men, the female competition began during the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000. In the year in 1948 theInternational Union of Modern Pentathlon , which is based in Monaco, and in this way it was achieved that the sport was practiced not only in sports games, but also in regular competitions at the national , continental and international levels. It is active in more than 115 countries around the world and is even played in the Pan American, Central American and Caribbean Games.
Modern Pentathlon Rules and Trials
The tests that make up modern pentathlon are the following:
- Shooting: This is a test based on the use of Quick Pistol . Each competitor must shoot at 20 targets standing in the same position, at a distance of 10 meters, each player has a time limit between each shot of only 40 seconds and they must shoot with one hand. The score they obtain is: 172 points that in the shot are equivalent to 1,000 for the competition.
- Fencing: In this modality each pentathlete must fight against the other players using a sword . Each game lasts a maximum of one minute, and the first one who manages to touch the opponent wins. If neither succeeds after the minute has elapsed then both players lose. The score is as follows: 1,000 points are achieved by winning 70% of the fights.
- Swimming: It consists of a 200-meter race swimming in freestyle . Scoring: Men get 1,000 points with a time of 2 minutes 30 seconds, while in the case of women it is with 2 minutes 40 seconds.
- Horse Riding: The pentathletes are divided into two different groups according to the results they have obtained to choose the horse with which they will do the test. Each participant has twenty minutes to familiarize himself with the horse that has been assigned to him. It is a course of 350 to 450 meters with 12 obstacles including a double, a triple, and a river jump.
As for the score of the modern pentathlon, this part of 1,100 points and is lost with the penalties as follows:
- 3 points for every second the time limit is exceeded.
- 30 points each time they knock down an obstacle.
- 30 points for touching the water that is in the estuary.
- 40 points for refusing. If you refuse an obstacle three times, you must move on to the next one.
- 60 points per fall. If the rider or horse falls twice, disqualification occurs.