Considering the technological advances in the area of informatics and computing, some dates and characteristics typical of what is called the fifth generation of computers could be specified , which lasted from 1982 to 1989 .
- Date: From 1982 to 1989
- Devices: PC
What is the fifth generation of computers?
During the twentieth century, technological advances encompassed significant changes for the next generation of computers to the present day, with the rise of computers with artificial intelligence and functionality directed at a practical level where it encompasses everyday use and not only industrial machinery, but also the use of the new tool created, the Internet .
In this generation of computers there is an era in which most things are controlled by different types of machines. These computers are based on a very sophisticated artificial intelligence . They also use multiple CPUs for faster information handling speed.
- Characteristics of the fifth generation of computers
- Inventors of the fifth generation of computers
- Featured computers from the fifth generation of computers
Characteristics of the fifth generation of computers
- A greater speed and miniaturization of its elements.
- The possibility of connections with any type of network as with other devices, given that they had input ports, which made the output and input of information possible.
- The artificial intelligence allowed the development of a natural language, the ability to translate different languages quickly and with great efficiency as well as the recognition of words generated from the voice. This intelligence also allowed the effective resolution of mathematical procedures.
- The use of storage devices to protect the information that these computers began to generate, due to this new feature to the functionality, we begin to think about the union of several formats such as the image with the sound, the multimedia area begins to expand to the same as the devices that support it.
- The use of microprocessors from the requirement to reduce the size of the components such as the union of several of these, which were interconnected creating multiprocessors. Laptops or PCs were conceived, I feel these are a miniaturization or simplification of industrial computers.
- The development of voice reading , a characteristic that allows the computer to be activated through simple words or phrases to respond to an activity or search.
- Integration of input and output circuits , such as floppy disks or floppy disks that allowed the effective storage of information.
Inventors of the fifth generation of computers
Von Neumann: During 1946, he built the ideas that give rise to a starting point, which is used until now, where he focuses on the storage of information and data in the same device , which gives way to memory; managing to go from ENIAC to a programmable device where the user can safeguard information and programs.
Featured computers from the fifth generation of computers
The most prominent computer of the fifth generation of computers was the PC or the laptop , as a result of the approach of not only producing machinery at an industrial level but also a tool for daily use. It was generated and produced by the International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), presenting a first proposal with which everything that was known up to now in the technology sector is revolutionized
In search of the simplification of the formats, progress was made to the Intel Pentium micropressors , which managed to provide a speed of 60 and 66 MHz. In addition, they could be capable of performing two instructions, which increased to 64 bits and the increase in frequency to almost double what had been achieved so far
Starting from the requirement of a storage tool, the floppy or floppy disk arises , which provided a support that would back up the information and that was removable to be used in other devices, creating in turn a unit directed to the use of these. This unit was called a floppy drive (FDD, Flopp Disk Driv), which made it possible to read these floppy disks.
It was possible to launch the first versions of an operating system , in this case it was Microsoft Windows (MS) in 1985 , which in turn competes with the launch of Apple, although these first systems lacked effectiveness at the time of their operation. and they were not more than a proposal, they allowed to give way to that later, in 1987, Windows launched Windows version 2.0 and 2.03 with improvements in the system, both in the user interface and in the multitasking functions.
On the other hand, among the computers of the fifth generation are the parallel machines PIM ( Parallel Inference Machine ) . In 1987, there was the use of these microprocessors and a memory which expanded through the years in which the project was worked, from the PIM / p: 512 RISC microprocessors with 256 MB of memory to the PIM / k : 16 RISC microprocessors with 1 GB of memory.