The field of philosophy seeks to understand and explain knowledge and all the limits that exist with respect to existence. It is possible to find many philosophical currents and one of them is feng shui , a term that literally translated means wind and water . It is in this way that it has been known over the years, mainly among the eastern ancestors who put it into practice in all aspects of daily life.
What is feng shui?
The feng shui is an ancient philosophical system which seeks to find a harmony between man , the space and time . It is a current that makes it possible to recognize the different environments in a house in which positive or negative energies can be generated .
- What is feng shui?
- Characteristics of feng shui
- What is feng shui for?
- Elements and colors
- Books on feng shui
- Examples of feng shui in everyday life
What is feng shui?
It consists of an art study that seeks to understand and analyze the Western culture . It is a technique that tries to find the right balance between vital energy through the correct distribution and orientation of spaces in a given place, taking into account these two aspects are related and influence vital energy and also have the ability to modify it.
Characteristics of feng shui
Among its main characteristics we mention the following:
- It is seen as the art of fluency .
- It is used to design houses, buildings, interior spaces, and even cities.
- Maximize the force and energy of life.
- You can run freely or be blocked .
- Connect the physical environment and life .
Feng shui is an art that originated thousands of years ago and was created and developed primarily by Chinese culture . It is a technique that was first used by the Chinese emperors to build their palaces.
Its history was born in China and began with a type of knowledge that sought to analyze the changes that occurred in the climate, the stars and in nature. For Chinese culture, aesthetics was and is a fundamental aspect of the state and in ancient times, only kings and nobles had access to use the technique. With the passage of time and with the establishment of the republic , feng shui began to be practiced throughout Chinese culture, however, its use was totally prohibited. It began to be used in countries such as Hong Kong and Taiwan and during the 20th century , thanks to the influence of the New Age, the stream began to gain popularity and to be used by people all over the world.
What is feng shui for?
It is used to study the different energy flows that exist, which is known by the name of Chi , and this is done mainly to be able to study the way in which energy can influence homes and people. It is a means by which a more harmonious type of energy can be conceived in order to turn the environments in which people develop into fertile land, increasing health and improving the chances of achieving all the projects that are in mind. It is a technique that serves to ensure good fortune , to improve health , to find a successful joband even, to achieve a sentimental life that is harmonious and satisfactory.
The principles of feng shui are two: yin and yang and Taoist theory .
The ying and the yang, which are considered as domains. In feng shui, the balance between the feminine part (yin) and the masculine part (yang) are of utmost importance and are also fundamental to be able to maintain an adequate flow of Chi, with the aim of being able to achieve a successful life full of happiness.
- Yin domain : this type of domain refers to the spaces that are related to daily life and to all those things with which a person interacts in a timely manner.
- Yang domain : it relates to homes, dwellings, workplaces and the places where most of the time is spent.
The Taoist theory considers that there must always be a balance between opposites and that discord arises at the time when one of these opposites manages to outdo the other. It is also based on the theory of duality , which tells us that all things are always balanced.
There are several symbols used in feng shui, among them we mention the following:
- Money toad : it is used to attract fortune and to improve the economy . They are seen as an image of nature and the figure is a frog or toad that has three legs and is placed on a base full of coins that symbolize the flow of money. It should be placed to the north to improve the professional environment and to the southeast to improve the economy.
- The ox : is the symbol of strength, abundance and success and is considered a basic symbol for wealth. It is also used to enhance family prosperity and should be placed in the southeast corner of the house.
- Lucky cat : it is known as Maneki Neko and is responsible for attracting money, prosperity and fortune. It also has the function of warding off evil spirits and must be located in the southeast part to attract wealth.
- The elephant – a symbol of wisdom, prosperity, strength, good luck and reason. It is highly revered and should be placed in the upper parts of the house. An important aspect is that it must always have its trunk up.
- Cranes : this bird is a symbol of wisdom, longevity, health and good luck. They are placed in the southern part of the home.
- Horse : symbolizes bravery, strength and loyalty, as well as success.
- The Koi fish : represents wealth and prosperity, abundance and generally must be placed three at a time.
Elements and colors
Feng shui is a theory that gives an explanation about the universe , the cosmos and nature using five main elements, these are fire , earth , wood , metal and finally water . These elements are what provide a formal basis by means of which you can reasons about possible solutions or cures. It is important to mention that these elements are also part of Chinese astrology and numerology. These elements have the ability to interact in different ways which can be constructive or destructive.
The main rules are:
- Understand and know the baguá or map of the energy centers of the home.
- Understand the command position .
- Heavy objects should not be placed on the bed or on the wall.
- The water must be maintained as an area of prosperity.
- Avoid placing obstacles at the entrance of the house.
- Include all the elements in the rooms of the home.
The controversy comes from religious groups who consider that feng shui is based on beliefs that are not based on God. Many such groups see many of the symbols of the doctrine as satanic and this causes controversy among the people who use it.
Feng Sui is considered important by many as it is seen as an effective means to renew energies and to attract positive things to daily life. It is a discipline that guarantees to improve life , making changes that in the end are positive and also helps to improve relationships, maintain harmony , peace and fluidity .
Books on feng shui
Some books where you can find valuable information on feng shui are the following:
- Learn Feng Shui by Isabel Sánchez
- Feng shui for rooms. I want a home
- Feng shui for the home by Kirsten M. Lagatree
- Total feng shui by Lillian Too
- Denise Linn’s Healthy Home
Examples of feng shui in everyday life
Some examples of feng shui that we can observe in everyday life are:
- Cleaning must be done from the inside out.
- Order and proximity are important.
- Avoid turning rooms into saturated spaces.
- Do not store old electrical appliances.
- Don’t hoard shoes.
- Use incense to clean.
- Use headboards on the bed.
- Place the bed at a good height to ensure the flow of energy.
- Locate the bed away from the door.
- Maintain balance on both sides of the bed.
- Do not place mirrors in front of the bed.