Enzo Ferrari is one of the most important men in the history of motorsport . He managed to have a very successful life in the world of racing and in the field of manufacture of sports cars . He was also in charge of directing one of the most important sports car teams in the world, Ferrari .
- When was he born: 02/18/1898
- Where he was born: Modena, Italy
- When he died: 08/14/1988
- Where he died: Modena, Italy
Who was Enzo Ferrari?
Enzo Ferrari was the founder of the Scuderia Ferrari who also managed to set up a factory of cars . A man who was characterized as one of the best entrepreneurs of the time, becoming one of the most important car manufacturers in the world .
- What did Enzo Ferrari do
- Biography of Enzo Ferrari
- Career as a motor racing driver
- Ferrari Foundation
- Acknowledgments to Enzo Ferrari
- Presence in popular culture
- Curiosities about Enzo Ferrari
What did Enzo Ferrari do
Enzo Ferrari is considered to be the founder of the Ferrari team , he was also an important businessman, a motorsport driver who managed to create one of the most recognized car brands in the world.
Biography of Enzo Ferrari
Enzo Ferrari was born on February 18, 1898 in the city of Modena , Italy . His father, Alfredo Ferrari , was a renowned businessman who worked in metal structures. He studied several studies at a mechanical engineering school and, during a car race, he had the opportunity to observe Vicenzo Lancia , understanding from that moment that his life would be based on auto racing.
When Italy entered the First World War , her father and brother were called into battle, her brother died of typhoid fever and her father died shortly after, a situation that caused the family business to go bankrupt. Enzo was finally drafted into the army , after 20 years he finished his service and with a letter of recommendation from his colonel, he marched to Turin to find employment.
Little by little he was introduced to the world of racing and motorsport until he managed to join the Alfa Romeo company where he worked for more than two decades. In 1920 he decided to become a racing driver and in 1932 , his first-born son was born, so he decided to abandon racing because he considered it a dangerous job. During his life he had to face a lot of misfortunes, the death of his son due to sclerosis when he was 25 years old, the death of his wife Laura, the destruction of histhe first vehicle factory and the death of many of the pilots who were dear to him.
Enzo Ferrari died on August 14, 1988 . His cause of death was due to kidney failure.
Career as a motor racing driver
His racing career began in the car company known as CMN , located in Milan where Ferrari had bought an Alfa Romero for competitions, he was then invited to participate as a racing driver. He made several races between the years 1920 and 1924, however, he did not obtain very good results. So, he was ordered to work as a salesperson for the brand .
Alfa Romeo wanted to enter the Italian Grand Prix competition using a car known as the P1 and they convinced Enzo not to work with Fiat anymore and to join them. During the competition, the pilot died in the race which caused Enzo to go into an emotional crisis. Later, Ferrari manages to hire Vittorio Jano who was one of the best mechanical engineers and together with Enzo , they manage to redesign the car and transform it into a P2.
This car managed to obtain the victory while setting the lap record and from that moment on, Enzo Ferrari proposed to the Alfa Romeo company, allowing him to take over all activities related to the competition . In 1929 , he succeeded in starting what would become known as Escudería Ferrari , a sports division that specialized in Formula 1 competitions.
Ferrari is a company specializing in sports car located in Modena , Italy. It arose thanks to the idea of its founder , Enzo Ferrari, to create a new brand of passenger cars that had both luxurious and sporty characteristics . The company began to produce cars in series in 1947 and in 1969 it was renamed Ferrari SA when the Fiat group began to fulfill a role as shareholder, also forming part of the Board of Directors.
Enzo Ferrari led both sport limit racing as the development of automobile road, a legacy that lasted beyond their generations. He was the man who managed to build one of the most important car companies sport and who founded and led one of the teams of greater importance in history .
Some of the most recognized phrases of Enzo Ferrari were the following:
- The races are won by my cars and lost by the drivers.
- Never hang your head, always look up high, win or lose.
- What deserves to be done deserves to be done well.
- When you buy a Ferrari, you are paying for the engine. The rest of it I give for free.
- No man will be the best if he does not have fire in his blood.
- The only perfect love in the world is that a father has for his son.
- A pilot is like a light bulb. When it melts, it changes.
Acknowledgments to Enzo Ferrari
Some of his main recognitions have been:
- Cavalieri award thanks to his sporting merits in 1924.
- Honor of Commendatore in 1927.
- Cavalieri di Lavoro in 1952.
- Honorary degree in mechanical engineering in 1960 awarded by the University of Bologna.
- Physics Prize awarded by the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia.
Presence in popular culture
In popular culture you will find a lot of models of Ferrari in films , television series and shows. Famous movies like Charlie’s Angels have used these cars for their productions. It is even possible to observe them in video games , such as on the cover of Project Gotham Racing 2 and it appears as a vehicle to drive in games like Need for Spee, Forza Motorsport 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, in Forza Horizon, Gran Turismo and The Crew.
A film was also made in his honor, Ferrari , in which the story of his life is told. In 2013, the film Rush was shot , by director Ron Howard, in which his career is also recounted, and in 2019, the film Ford v Ferrari, boasts the presence of this important character.
Curiosities about Enzo Ferrari
Some of the main curiosities of Enzo Ferrari were the following:
- He was a veteran of the Italian army who participated during the First World War , in fact he almost lost his life in battle.
- He was a test driver and managed to get on the podium on behalf of Alfa Romero and CMN, however he never did it for Ferrari .
- The Ferrari team was founded and also directed by Enzo.
- The logo given to Ferrari was made in honor of the mother of an Italian driver named Francesco Baraca, and Ferrari was forced to use it as it had been an order from the Countess .
- The last car to receive Enzo’s personal approval was the iconic Ferrari F40.