Technology is always innovating and creating and for this reason it never ceases to amaze us. Some of these devices that have been invented in recent years are one of the best ways to save time and money on transportation , among them we can mention the electric unicycle .
The electric unicycle is a single wheel self balancing personal transporter where the rider controls speed by leaning forward or backward , and steers by turning the unit with his feet.
- What is an electric unicycle for?
- Electric unicycle parts
- How an electric unicycle works
What is an electric unicycle for?
In these current days when it is so difficult to move from one place to another, the electric unicycle works perfectly to be able to transport people from one place to another at an affordable price and eliminating pollutants that affect the environment.
The main characteristics of the electric unicycle are the following:
- It is an easy-to-use device .
- Provides flexible control .
- It does not emit any polluting gas so it is considered friendly to the environment.
- They are used mainly on walks , in the security area , for patrols , and in other fields.
- They are very light and work perfectly without the driver having to make any special effort.
- They are comfortable.
- They are relatively easy to use.
Its history begins in 1791 when the first bicycle was created, which was like a wooden horse with wheels , one front and one rear, but it did not have pedals and you had to push yourself with your own feet.
In 1818 the Baron Von Drais improved the previous design and in 1839, the Scotsman Kirikpatrick Macmilla put pedals on the front wheel , at that time it was called a velocipede . In 1966 the Englishman James Starley created the High Wheel or the Ordinary Bicycle , which had a huge front wheel and a smaller one. This was the true predecessor of the. Currently the unicycle has undergone changes and has evolved to reach those that are driven electronically.
Electric unicycle parts
The parts that an electric unicycle has are the following:
- Wheels : they can be one or two depending on the model and it is the one that is responsible for making the unicycle move.
- Inner tube tire : makes the wheel grip the surface, so it must be of good quality to maintain proper balance.
- Electric motor : thanks to it we do not need to pedal and its power varies from one model to another. Allows the unicycle to reach a certain speed.
- Pedals with sensors: where we support our feet and steer the unicycle.
- Lights : they are LED lights and will allow traffic at night.
- Battery : it has a specific autonomy that will depend on the battery.
- Charger : necessary to charge the battery.
- Side Wheels : not all include these and they look like small wheels on bicycles.
How an electric unicycle works
The electric unicycle is a highly variable device and is very simple to use, this because it is very light in weight as well as being fast and economical. They use a type of aeronautical technology , each unicycle has a gyroscope so that the person who drives it can maintain control at all times, it is equipped with a sensitive coil that is responsible for recovering the energy from braking, which increases its autonomy .
It has an electronic control that, once on the unicycle, we are able to move forward or backward, which is achieved by leaning slightly and the engine with this movement starts up and as a consequence we can move.
To make it work, the first thing we have to do is place it vertically on the ground and turn it on. The power level indicators will turn on and the buzzer will beep to indicate that it is ready to use. Before starting to drive, adjust the vertical position . A four-level LE D indicator indicates the power level and these indicators will light when the power level is above 85% and turn off one by one as the level drops.
The electric battery in these types of electric vehicles used exclusively for personal mobility allows for excellent autonomy, since this ranges from approximately 12 kilometers to the highest range models that can even reach 35 kilometers of autonomy. . This autonomy can be applied even for a circulation with unevenness of up to 30º of inclination both positive and negative . As for the charge cycles that the electric unicycle has, we will have to wait between one and two hoursapproximately to achieve a full load , and if we have to transport our electric unicycle, its weight is around 10 kg.
Some examples of electric unicycles are as follows:
- Airwheel X3: this model has a maximum speed of 18 kilometers per hour , and can travel 15 kilometers without recharging, although this depends on the weight of the driver, the type of handling and the conditions of the terrain. It has a safety system that stops the equipment when the engine reaches an incline that exceeds 45 °, as well as when the speed exceeds 10 km per hour.
- MonoRover R1: its battery is 132 Wh and reaches 14 kilometers per hour, it takes approximately 45 minutes to charge , and it has a protection system for low battery, so that it does not force the equipment and damage it. It is waterproof , and has an audible alert to avoid accidents when the maximum speed is exceeded.
- Ninebot ONE E +: its design is sophisticated and futuristic , it is white with some black details, it is not polluting as it does not emit toxic gases. Its maximum speed is between 18 and 22 kilometers per hour, depending of course on the weight of the driver, the terrain and how fast it goes. Supports a maximum weight of 120 kilograms.