The Ethics is a science that focuses on the study, practice and application of a series of moral obligations by individuals. This science has been divided into several branches or disciplines and one of them is deontology , a theory that tells us that everything that is morally correct must also be brought into professional practice so that in this way maximum benefits are obtained.
What is deontology?
The ethics is a science that studies all the duties and principles of nature ethics that relate to job profession or work . It is a means to set standards that govern performance and conduct within the workplace.
- Characteristics of deontology
- What is it for
- Legal ethics
- Police deontology
- Business ethics
- Medical deontology
- Educational deontology
Characteristics of deontology
There are several characteristics that represent deontology, among the most important are the following:
- It is part of moral philosophy , which is dedicated to analyzing obligations and duties of a moral nature.
- For this science, all actions have a value , regardless of the amount of well-being they can generate.
- The type of ethics it has is developed from anthropocentric thinking .
- It is a type of science that is applied to the field of morality .
- It focuses mainly on ways of acting and conducts that are not governed by public legislation.
- They are monitored by professional associations who are responsible for watching over, defending and promoting all the deontological codes found in it.
Throughout the history of human beings, their behavior has been studied and this has been a matter of reflection by many scholars. The history of deontology dates back to ancient times, mainly in the city of Greece, where it began to be used and visualized various topics related to deontology . These subjects studied the differences in the ways of proceeding of the human being and put pleasure and happiness as the ultimate goal in the individual’s actions.
With the passage of time, many philosophers such as Kant , established that the main purpose of the ethics of man should be to put aside everything related to pleasure in order to focus on activities that were considered morally correct. The word emerged in the 19th century and was first coined by Jeremy Bentham , who defined it as the art whose main objective is to always do what is right and appropriate.
What is it for
Deontology is a science that serves to regulate all commitments and to convert them at the same time into a set of precepts , moral norms and a series of rules related to conduct. It is a means by which duties can be established and followed , especially when we refer to activities of a professional nature .
It is also in charge of establishing all the norms whose main function is to govern the conduct and performance of professionals within their own field of work, so that in this way it is possible to fulfill the responsibilities that are linked to the labor field.
There are several types of deontology, including the following:
- Deontological universalism : in this type, all the rules are applied to all people and under all kinds of circumstances.
- Deontological relativism : all its rules are applied to individuals in certain circumstances.
Legal deontology has as its main function the power to establish a series of ethical and legal rights and duties in those people who are in charge of regulating and monitoring the conduct , the way of acting and the performance of all lawyers, judges and notaries, in other words, of those who study the law career .
The main objective of police deontology is to be able to guide the work and all actions by the police with the aim of making them more humanized and, at the same time, forming a connection between values and concrete actions . Its primary purpose then is to guide the professional behavior of the people who make up the police department. It also includes a series of principles and values that must be offered to the community as well as in the personal life of each police officer.
In the business field , deontology focuses on achieving the highest possible quality always aiming at good organization , the proper balance between work life and self-fulfillment on the part of the worker who makes up a company. It also implies the social responsibility that must be on the part of companies and aspects related to productivity and ethical problems .
Medical deontology is governed by the medical deontological code whose main function is to establish all the rules that govern the way of acting and the performance of the professionals who are in charge of health. This type of deontology finds its bases in the Hippocratic Oath as well as in principles related to beneficence and justice . It monitors all aspects related to the profession and maintains adequate control regarding the relationship that exists between the doctor and the patient , including as a very important aspect, professional secrecy .
This type of deontology is considered of utmost importance for both the educational and social fields as it is the way in which all the fundamental values of human behavior can be promoted . It focuses on making honesty, moral, responsibility and help prevail among professionals to be able to fulfill this important work. It also focuses on the creation of a moral conscience on the part of the educator so that he has the ability to perceive and put into practice all ethical values such as love , truth , understanding , loyalty , dedication, responsibility , justice and the common good .
Among its main representatives are the following:
- Immanuel Kant : a German philosopher who is considered one of the most important thinkers in history and who made great contributions to deontology through his normative ethics established through the categorical imperative .
- William David Ross : Scottish-born philosopher who worked extensively in the field of ethics developing a pluralistic type of society and a deontology based on intuitionist ethics.
Ethics is an important science because it focuses primarily on all obligations of such moral individuals have. It establishes what is correct and what must be put into practice in order to achieve the highest possible benefits . In the professional field it is of utmost importance as it is one of the ways to achieve ethics in the work field . It is a science that focuses on duty and morals , aspects necessary to develop respectful environments.
Some examples of deontology are the following:
- In the field of medicine , doctors, nurses, assistants and others who are in relationship with patients, will never be able to disclose information about them.
- In journalism , ethics, responsibility and credibility are guaranteed on the part of the communicator but at the same time safeguarding the sources of information and focusing on truthful evidence, thus avoiding the spread of false news.