The State is a type of political organization that has administrative power and sovereignty over a specific place and also has the power to manage and order society through different attributions and bodies . There are several types of States, among them we find the democratic State in which the fundamental guarantees that are specific to individuals within the legal framework are guaranteed .
The democratic State is a type of State in which citizens have the possibility of being able to participate in the government, since sovereignty , to a certain degree, corresponds to them, but this is exercised through representatives chosen by the people themselves.
- What is the democratic state?
- Characteristics of the democratic state
- Advantages of the democratic state
- Examples of a democratic state
What is the democratic state?
The democratic State consists of a type of State in which the people have the ability to participate in the government through suffrage and control in making the decisions that are the responsibility of the country through the representatives they have elected. In it, all the political parties that are part of the elections must, after submitting to the same regulations and respecting the results, since these are the ones that represent the will of the majority in the elections. It is important to mention that the main elements of the democratic State are three: sovereigntypopular, pluralism and participation of the inhabitants.
Democratic states had their origin in ancient Greece , mainly in the polis of Athens, around the 7th and 4th centuries BC when the main governing body was represented by the Assembly , which was made up of all free citizens.
After this type of state was created in Greece, the bourgeoisie of Western countries during the seventeenth century decided to take this type of government as a model totally opposed to the autocracy that was lived in the continent. For a time, this thought stopped, when King Philip II and Alexander the Great managed to defeat the Greek polis thus causing the Hellenistic era which put an end to democracy, it was then that oligarchies , monarchies and aristocracies were formed .
Some time later, the French Revolution took place, one of the events that caused a tremendous change in society and politics and that served as an example for other countries that lived under oppressive regimes. At that time, a more solid government began to be consolidated in England but divided between the aristocracy and democracy, while in the United States total democracy managed to triumph.
Already in the nineteenth century , the evolution of the democratic state had two major influences , civil rights and political rights , the notion of freedom also influenced as an important point for autonomy. The push for social inclusion and social rights led to the emergence of two models, the liberal democratic and the republican, both following the line of democracy.
Despite the fact that there were some problems that affected the democratic state, little by little it managed to universalize itself and reach other nations. Only in 1926 , 30 democracies managed to be imposed worldwide and between 1943 and 1962 , democracy reached Latin America where authoritarian governments were eliminated to make way for the democratic state.
Characteristics of the democratic state
Among the main characteristics of democracy are the following:
- Countries with a democratic state also have a rule of law.
- All political powers are legitimate and are contemplated within the National Constitution . These powers must be attacked but without any coercion from the individual or violence from the State.
- All the representatives that are part of the democratic State are elected by means of suffrage or popular vote , which is free , universal and secret .
- Governments that have democratic states are autonomous , in other words, they must be governed according to their precepts and never by foreign, public or private ideas or policies.
- In this type of State there is freedom of expression and freedom of the press . All citizens have the right to express their ideas.
- There is freedom of worship and to protect the rights and views, citizens have the right to associate so independent .
- The justice must be applied so transparent including criminal proceedings.
- All citizens of a democratic state must abide by the rights and duties .
In addition, the democratic State must be based on a series of principles and foundations that include the fact that power belongs to the people and not to the nation, the rights of citizens, the rationality of the law, freedom, progress. , pluralism, transparency, equality and respect.
The organization of a democratic state is based on three important powers . The first of these is the legislative power which is in charge of drawing up the laws that will govern the country and then approving or rejecting them and is made up of deputies or senators depending on the country. The second power is the executive who is the one who has the function of administering and governing the country through the president and finally the judiciary, which is responsible for enforcing the laws .
Advantages of the democratic state
There are several advantages that occur when a democratic state is established, among them we can find:
- Sustainable human development is considerably favored because coexistence in harmony is made possible.
- Protection is given to the physical integrity of the individual as well as to the properties and assets of the families.
- Respect for human rights is promoted and citizen culture programs are promoted to prevent crime and corruption.
- The development of the economy is favored through the application of the law in order to protect the rights and to ensure that the obligations are fulfilled.
- There is a positive impact on the law , on technological innovation and on the use of new technologies .
- It is a useful and effective means by which the villagers can defend themselves against the most powerful.
- The conflicts that may arise are resolved peacefully without using weapons or wars.
- Protection is provided to minorities .
The democratic state can also have some disadvantages:
- This type of state can be manipulated by the most powerful and with this, the people are prevented from expressing their interests.
- Governments can be manipulated, causing them to provide resources to their supporters or they can even deny or delay projects related to society.
- The mechanisms of the democratic state can also become dominated by groups with dangerous interests .
- It is a mechanism that requires many years to settle in a country and it is also quite expensive .
The democratic State is one of the most important and positive political systems in the world, the exercise of this type of State achieves, in addition to benefiting the inhabitants , greater control over the country. Is the mechanism through which the people have the great ability to choose in complete freedom their political systems , social , economic and cultural .
It is the way in which the individuals of a society manage to participate in it, can enjoy their human and civil rights and live in harmony . It is also a means by which the country can be strengthened in an equitable way , always taking into account the principles of independence , legality , impartiality and objectivity in order to promote the participation of citizens so that they can also contribute to the development of the nation.
Examples of a democratic state
Some examples of countries with a democratic state are listed below.
- Costa Rica