When we speak of cultural diversity we mean the great variety, difference and abundance of different things within a given context. Cultural , is a term that refers to everything that concerns a certain culture. So, when we refer to the term cultural diversity, we are talking about the way of coexisting and interacting that exists effectively and satisfactorily between the different cultures that live within the same geographic space , including their heritages and different traditions. The difference of cultures that exist in a certain place helps to promote and expand knowledge and values such as respect and tolerance, because the fact of respecting and tolerating our fellow men regardless of their religion, belief, skin color or sex makes us better citizens.
The cultural diversity is the variety , difference and abundance of cultures that can be found within the same region or geographical area in which coexist as peacefully regardless of their heritage, culture or tradition.
- Characteristics of cultural diversity
- History of cultural diversity
- Types of cultural diversity
- Day of cultural diversity
- Cultural diversity in Mexico
- In colombia
- In Argentina
Characteristics of cultural diversity
- In cultural diversity there is a great multiplicity of cultures , each a product of individual development.
- Cultures have fundamental distinctive features that indicate their characteristics , such as ethnicity, skin color, sex, language, religion , their art and folklore and even gastronomy.
- Within cultural diversity we can find specific areas of diversity.
- There is a great difference of cultures.
- Try to preserve the culture.
- He has in his against many ideological, religious and political views against it.
- It has interculturality .
History of cultural diversity
By 2003, several members of UNESCO requested that a normative action be applied in defense of human creativity . The General Conference of said institution entrusted the work to the Director General to present a report and a preliminary draft on the protection of cultural content and artistic expressions. For December 2003, the director called a series of different meetings and then presented a report to the General Conference, with debates and recommendations taken from the meetings together with the preliminary draft, thus on October 20, 2005, was adopted to a convention that supported Cultural Diversity .
Types of cultural diversity
There are many types of cultural diversity, some of them are:
- Biological diversity , a term that refers to everything that surrounds nature.
- Functional diversity , a sociological term that refers to physical limitations.
- Sexual diversity , related to human sexuality.
- Cultural Diversity , which refers to the cultural richness of a human group.
- Religious diversity , which includes all types of religion in the world.
- Ethnic diversity , which is formed by a group of people who share the same historical identity, language and religion.
- Concrete elements or materials: This aspect includes things like the type of clothing, the art of a place, architectural constructions, buildings, work tools and historical monuments.
- Symbolic or spiritual elements: includes a broad branch of beliefs, religion, human values, ethics, acts of humanity, legal and conventional norms and sanctions, the type of social and political organization, language and science.
- Elements of culture or cultural traits: it is a smaller part and is in charge of giving a profile to a society . They include all the characteristic features that make up a culture.
- With cultural diversity, the mind opens to new ideas .
- There is greater creativity .
- Increased capacity for solution of problems .
- There is a strengthening of cultures.
- It increases the innovation and talent in one place.
- Different cultures bring great knowledge and more points of view.
- Can present the ethnocentrism , a term that refers to people feel that their culture is the best and for this reason, a series of fights and disputes begins.
- Increased given the ambiguity and complexity of cultures.
- Problems of communication , mainly linguistic.
- There is difficulty in making decisions together.
- Disagreement regarding standards, practices, and procedures.
- There can be problems of discrimination .
- There are different levels of learning .
Cultural diversity is important because it can help in the development of a country , since the great amount of ethnic, social, traditional and regional resources increases the attraction of businessmen, tourists and nations that see in them great economic and commercial possibilities . It also increases ethnic diversity by adding a great deal of history and traditions belonging to other peoples.
Although there is no official flag, the Wiphala , also known as the flag of indigenous peoples , is commonly used as it symbolizes equality and unity . In countries like Bolivia it is recognized as a national symbol. It is a flag that was used in the ancient Andean peoples, its shape is square and it is made up of 49 colored squares , including red, orange, yellow, white, green, blue and purple.
Day of cultural diversity
On October 12 it was used to represent the Day of the Race. The debate on the date began in 2007, when a project was presented in which the term ” race ” was put into question , a term that was discarded for cultural and political reasons . In 2010, a request was made to change and modify the name of the race day for Cultural Diversity Day, which was approved.
Cultural diversity in Mexico
In Mexico , it reflects a great multiplicity and interaction of cultures that make up the heritage of humanity. They seek to promote the preservation and promotion of the cultures that already exist in the country and the opening to new cultures. It is a country with a large number of ethnic groups and religions , tradition and history in which miscegenation plays an important role.
The diversity of this country is due in large part to its location as it is located at the entrance to South America . It has the great privilege of being one of the countries that receives the largest number of ethnic groups, which produces an immaterial enrichment of the country. It has a large presence of indigenous ethnic groups called Amerindians that form a specific group, Afro-descendant populations that were created through the processes of miscegenation and former slaves, and gypsies , originally from northern India who settled at the time. of the conquest.
Argentina has had a large number of immigrants from Peru , Bolivia and some countries that hit their limits. The main point for cultural diversity is in Córdoba , as it offers great educational and labor possibilities , bringing with it new customs, history, traits, traditions and identities.