One of the most important components in the environment and in nature are trees and shrubs . These are generally found in their natural habitats, but can also be found in gardens , streets , cities, and entire towns . Without trees, breathing quality air would be extremely difficult as they are responsible for purifying it. This is where arboriculture comes into play , a science that studies conservation and maintenance.of all urban flora .
Arboriculture is a type of science that is responsible for studying and protecting the flora that has been planted in urban places , focusing mainly on trees which are managed individually to ensure that they live healthily for many years .
- What does it consist of
- Characteristics of arboriculture
- Types of arboriculture
- Arboriculture in the world
- Arboriculture books
What does it consist of
The science of arboriculture is responsible for investigating and studying the way in which trees grow and how they have the ability to respond to their environment , as well as the techniques that are used to cultivate them . The practice of arboriculture consists of executing the techniques used to maintain the trees, such as the selection of the trees to be planted, the application of fertilizers , the fumigation to control insects and diseases, the diagnosis of diseases of the trees, removalof them and the subsequent pruning if necessary.
Characteristics of arboriculture
Among its main features are the following:
- In arboriculture, all specimens of trees are studied and managed so individually .
- Its main objective is to ensure that the trees can live many years in good health , avoiding pests and diseases.
- Its principles are based on the creation of an urban woodland that is decorative with well-kept plants.
- In arboriculture, trees cannot be damaged in any way .
- Trees are seen as living beings and that is why they must take the necessary care to prevent them from getting sick.
- It gives more attention to old and sick trees .
- Human intervention should be minimal and is only necessary when a tree needs attention, either because it is sick or because it needs to be pruned.
In ancient times, trees were treated with little technical and scientific knowledge. They were used to decorate but without the necessary means to give them a good treatment. With the passage of time this situation changed and new pruning and health systems were adopted for them. Many researchers began to carry out studies on the best way to keep them healthy and in 1901 , John Davey wrote one of the most important books on the subject “The Doctor of Trees ” in which he mentioned the importance of the study of the physiology of plants .
Later, associations for the care of trees that were planted in the cities began to be organized until finally the International Society of Arboriculture was created . Modern arboriculture has developed mainly in the 20th century and today, certification and education programs are provided for arborists and professionals in order to improve education for both individuals and governments with the aim of maintaining the health of the trees.
Types of arboriculture
The types of arboriculture that exist are mentioned below:
- Commercial arboriculture : practitioners plant, prune, wire, fertilize, inspect, protect, and reduce the impact of pest damage and remove trees.
- Municipal arboriculture : they manage the trees and green spaces of the city. It is mainly responsible for the trees that are located in the streets and boulevards, urban parks and around public buildings.
- Utility arboriculture – involves planning tree maintenance, awarding contracts, and inspecting work performed. They also advise clients on suitable tree species to plant, for example near power lines.
- Private consultancy : consultant arboriculturists offer their clients information on the diagnosis of plant health and their valuation.
There are several tools that are needed to be able to do a good job of arboriculture, among them we can mention simple tools such as pruning shears, saws, shovels, rakes, pruners, lawn cutters, picks, axes and knives. Some larger and more technological tools are also used such as chainsaws, hydro washers, sprinklers, hoes, pole pruners, extensions, 8-pointed trepolines and protective equipment is also necessary.
Through arboriculture, a large number of problems that are related to trees can be solved in a rational and professional way in order to achieve a scenario where man and trees can coexist in a healthy way . A good Arboriculture has the ability to raise awareness of the human being to nature, also promote the recreational activities and are home to many types of wild lives. In addition, keeping trees in cities also helps nature because they are in charge of purifying the air that is breathed every day.
Perhaps one of the main disadvantages is that in some cities the streets are linear , narrow and very long , which makes it difficult for the plants to be placed correctly and this can lead to chronic urban tension . When trees are planted without adequate criteria and without knowledge , it is not possible to create a harmonious environment for the urban habitat and rather there is an important limitation in societies.
Arboriculture in the world
More and more countries are striving to include arboriculture in their regions. For this, the International Society of Arboriculture has been created which is a professional organization worldwide that is responsible for promoting the use of trees and researching them.
Arboriculture is a very important science because through it it is possible to make adequate identifications of the different species and of the diseases that may affect them at some point. Through it, it is possible to take care of the health of trees and plants , it is possible to maintain natural landscapes within cities and it is possible to make the most of the vegetation in certain places while increasing the safety of the trees.
In addition to providing benefits for health , cool temperature , shade , fruit (in the case of some trees), increased oxygen levels , etc., trees can also provide monetary benefits to cities because with them the economic values increase .
Some books where important information about arboriculture can be found are listed below:
- Fundamentals of urban arboriculture. Historical evolution, politics, legislation , criteria, orientations.
- Arboriculture compendium applied to roadside plantations.
- Integrated management of vegetation.
- Apparent risk in urban trees. From subjectivity to reality.
Some examples of what is practiced in arboriculture are the following:
- People who care for trees who have the ability to recognize and control tree disorders, regardless of their origin.
- Proper maintenance by professionals which is essential for the health of shade trees since improper maintenance can cause the death of trees.