The anemometers are instruments created with the primary goal of instantly calculate the force of the wind and the speed of it. These are essential equipment in sporting events where the wind plays an important role in the performance of the event. This calculates despite immediately marking the wind speed, it is usually measured with intervals of 10 minutes and an approximate of all the measurements thrown by the device is taken because the gusts of air avoid throwing an exact number.
What is an anemometer?
The anemometer is a device that plays an important role in the area of meteorology , allowing the intensity of the wind to be measured . The most common ones are composed of a system of small blades and at their ends small basins which are allowed to oscillate, when the wind blows this turns and in this way throws the results in the device.
- Features of the anemometer
- Who invented the anemometer
- What is it for
- How does it work
- How to make a homemade anemometer
The anemometer is a meteorological device which has the purpose of predicting the weather , with the sole objective of measuring the speed of time . This is an instrument of basic use within different areas but it is essential within the aeronautical field .
Depending on where it is, it will mark different results , if it is fixed on a flat surface, such as the floor or a ceiling, it will give the value of the prevailing wind while if it is placed on an object that is in motion, it will simply throw a Relative result as a function of the object in relation to the calm wind.
Features of the anemometer
Each anemometer model has different physical characteristics and although they all have the same objective, some are more precise than others, this is because while some are placed on the upper parts of houses, others are placed on planes or trees and by the movement of these will not throw the same.
Throughout history , the Mayan culture in his time had already manufactured something similar to the anemometer, however, the person who was in charge of creating the first anemometer was Leon Battista Alberti , one of the most important humanists of the Italian Renaissance for his epoch.
Who invented the anemometer
It is León Battista Alberti who develops this invention for the first time during the Renaissance era, the first prototypes were simply considered works of art (this only consisted of a propeller connected to an artistic piece that could rotate on an axis, thus allowing it to move in different senses) which was placed on balconies and marked the direction of the wind, and even allowed to give an approximate conjecture about the power of the air.
What is it for
The anemometer fulfills the function of measuring time within the area of meteorology .
There are several types of anemometers that are:
- The propeller anemometer is the most common and the most widely used due to its simple composition and its accuracy when it comes to obtaining the results. It has several designs but its original version is the most purchased, it is composed of a 3-point propeller with a kind of bowls at each end, it rotates with the wind on its same axis. Also the most used in weather stations.
- The portable anemometer is a device composed of two parts, the first is a small propeller that is connected by a cable to the meter or placed on top. The second is the speed meter can be digital or a small device that outputs the results on a strip of paper.
- Thermal anemometers have a copper wire or a very fine element that heats up by exceeding the temperature of the environment . The air passes through the wire producing a cooling reaction on the element in question. Due to the cooling speed the speed will be averaged with respect to the wind.
- Thermal anemometer with speed / temperature profiling in this the measurement system is smaller, it evaluates the ambient temperature and the wind speed. The system detects and records different points allowing the user to directly analyze the data in a more graphic way.
This is made up of two main parts:
- A propeller that rotates about ab depending on the model is connected to the part that determines the results by means of a long wiring or it is placed on top of the equipment .
- The second part of the equipment is a digital or analog device that is responsible for data collection and final processing.
How does it work
Depending on the device that is used, it will measure the intensity of the air received on its propeller, wire or any other air receiver device , it receives it and transmits the information to the data analyzer, where they are processed and marked on the digital screen or on the analog device.
How to make a homemade anemometer
To create a homemade anemometer, the simplest thing is to create it similar to the propeller, placing it on top and placing a data analyzer connected to the propeller in order to process the data.
The anemometer plays a special role within the area of meteorology in determining large-scale air currents. In turn, in aeronautics, it allows pilots to know how the wind affects them and when it is for or against. And of course he also plays it in sports such as golf where the wind plays an important role at the time of the same since it affects the direction of the shots to the hole by 20 percent.